The Viking Age
VIKINGS! The scourge of the early middle ages. Vikings raided England, Ireland and Europe with a ferocity never seen before. On this episode we’re going to look at a few Vikings that you may not have heard of, or know much about. One of them should be taught in every school in America and Europe. They are portrayed as blood thirsty killers who pillage and plunder, but they were also adventuring explorers who discovered new lands and some even set aside their Viking ways to adapt in new societies.
If you are interested in learning more about The Viking Age and Viking warriors below is a list of books I used while researching this episode.
- Brownworth, Lars. The Sea Wolves: A History of the Vikings, 2014.
- Castleden, Rodney. Vikings: Raiders, Traders and Masters of the Sea, 2015.
- Clements, J. M. Vikings. Lost Worlds. New York: Metro Books, 2012.
- Kunz, Keneva, ed. The Vinland Sagas: The Icelandic Sagas about the First Documented Voyages across the North Atlantic ; the Saga of the Greenlanders and Eirik the Red’s Saga. New ed. Penguin Classics. London: Penguin Books, 2008.
- Logan, Francis Donald. The Vikings in History. 2. ed., reprinted. London: Routledge, 1998.
Disclaimer: Affiliate links are used on this site. While they don’t cost you anything when you purchase through them they help support Medieval Archives.