It means the area of land alongside a small stream running through Ashby St Ledgers has the same legal protection as some of the most historic sites in the country.
The medieval village was first documented in Domesday Book of 1086 with a population of 24. Its remains today comprise hollow ways, building platforms known as tofts, associated gardens known in medieval times as crofts, the site of a dovecote, and ridge and furrow.
Areas covered by the protection are on both sides of a small east flowing stream – once a road – at the west end of the village around Cherry Tree Farm, and on the south side of the stream between the farm and the Manor House.
There are no definite records that the once Y-shaped village was deserted for any particular reason as some were due to disease, and experts believe it is more likely there was a simple movement of people rather than a shrinkage of the settlement.